Latvias 100 endangered monuments
100 endangered monumentsThe humankind cannot last without memories and cultural heritage. Preserved cultural heritage is an indicator of and a guarantee for the country’s stability. We must be proud of our cultural values and put added efforts to pass it on for the next generations. Cultural heritage is not a burden, but an underestimated asset with a considerable economic potential presenting development opportunities. Rich and well-maintained cultural heritage is a source of lucrative income in the world. A great number or economies rely on the cultural tourism, however, some sites have seen their heritage and collective memory disappearing due to lacking funds and understanding of people.
Latvia can boast an abundance of manor houses, palaces, parks, churches, castle mounds, historical city centres, cultural and historical landscapes and other values. Among well-maintained sites there are some that display scarce basic understanding of their importance and, consequently, also little efforts in preserving this unique and valuable heritage for the next generations. This is responsibility that lies on the whole society and its priorities. Valuable cultural monuments are abandoned and vandalised, some are sold and re-sold as profitable real estate without making the necessary investment in their maintenance; in several cases they are left for disintegration to be replaced by new structures later, while many are misshaped by irrelevant renovations or inconsiderate development of their surrounding areas, or insufficient funding for their maintenance.
The underlying force in the preservation process of Latvian cultural heritage originates from the enthusiasm of a fraction of society and devotion of a gruop of professionals- hardly sufficient without the necessary funding and understanding of the issue. Cultural heritage must be entitled to receiving at least a small part of the money it has helped to earn.
I truly hope that the focus of the European Heritage Days – “100 most endangered cultural monuments in Latvia” – will help to highlight the actual value of cultural monuments, attract new and responsible owners and managers, multiply support from politicians and increase understanding about the responsibility at all levels for preserving cultural heritage.
Fead of State Inspection for Heritage Protection
The stone castle of Koknese was built in 1209. During the Great Northern the castle was destroyed and left non-restored. In 1967, the ruins of Koknese castle and its surrounding territories were degraded as a result of constructing Pļaviņas water power plant. The picturesque valley of the river Daugava, Pērse waterfall and several castle mounds were flooded. As for today, the walls and foundations of the castle are being enforced and conserved, nevertheless, the monument is still endangered.
Nereta manor buildings
Odziena manor can boast one of the most impressive neo-Gothic palaces in Latvia (middle of the 19th century) that has survived until today. However, it is in exceptionally bad condition – partly missing roof, no ceilings and windows.
Alūksne castle ruins
The medieval castle of Alūksne is located on the western part of Pils Island of Lake Alūksne, where a 1.4 to 2 meter thick defence wall perimeters an elongated octagonal area of approximately 200x100 m that is divided in two courtyards. The northern yard is located on the highest part of the island and it was connected to the mainland by a wooden bridge 120 meters in length and over 4 meters in width. Several wooden piles at the both ends of the bridge have survived until today, although 50 years ago their number was considerably bigger and they could be better traced and observed.
Gaujiena castle ruins
For clarification it must be noted that Baldones is a typical village of Latgale consisting of a group of farms that have naturally merged together forming a complex that is given a collective name -
Baldones. However, in order to maintain a certain level of organisation and system in property rights for themselves and outsiders, the local people refer to different houses by their owners’ names. According to the local people in
Baldones, the village once contained 32 farms, now scarcely half of them surviving. This is a typically sad story of farms and objects of non-professional folk construction practice in Latvia – to become abandoned and functionally redundant, which, in most cases, is followed by the irreversible process of disintegration and fading memories about their time, people and buildings.
Bauska castle ruins.
Landlord’s house of Kaucminde manor
As for today, the manor is owned by the company SIA Kaucmindes pils. One of the semicircular flank structures is currently being renovated, yet the main building is not used. The park side is in critical condition – the portico roof has collapsed, column capitals are partly lost, wall plastering, doors and windows are exposed to a slow destruction process.
Skaistkalne Catholic monastery
Cēsis districtA significant task of today is the conservation of the castle ruins and presenting the archaeological findings to larger groups of society.
Gatarta manor buildings
Until 2003, the manor buildings were abandoned and their technical condition worsened. As for today, the complex is a private property, the park is being cleaned, but the buildings are still in a critical state. However, the intentions and plans of the new owners regarding the future of the site are very promising. It must be noted that one of the model architectural monuments of Latvia – Gatarta cross-shaped threshing-barn (the first half of the 19th century) – is no more existent.
Postal horse station in Lielstraupe
Until now the castle has had no conservation measures undertaken and the ancient, large and still magnificent building is in critical condition and faces disintegration.
Granary in Ungurmuiža manor
Vāvere inn buildings
The architectonically distinct blacksmith’s house collapsed in 2003, while parts of the inn building face the same fate in the near future.
Daugavpils fortress is a distinctive military and defence structure, the only one of its type and scale in the Baltic countries. The complex is fairly well preserved and provides a comprehensive insight of the construction practices and achievements of its period. The main task of today is the preservation and use of the fortification systems and buildings.
Baltmuiža manor house and park
Birķeneļi Lutheran church
Dobele castle ruins
The conservation works of the castle started at the end of the 19th century and continued in the 1930ies and 1950ies. Conservation measures resumed in 2002 (architect P.Blūms) as the object is in very critical technical condition.
Luste manor house
The manor house was in fairly good condition after the last war, but was soon turned into ruins like many others in Latvia and the surrounding area lost its charm. The adjacent park has survived only partially. The renovation of the unique building is not possible yet.
Vecapgulde manor house
Ranka manor house
In 2003, the manor house and its adjacent buildings became a private property. The new owners intend to renovate the manor house in its previous look as the remaining walls and iconographic material provide sufficient evidence on the lost values.
White House of Vecgulbene manor
A particularly ancient and even archaic structure was the so-called “cooking-house” which was integrated with a bathhouse with an intermediary room between the two sections. The unique qualities of this building had been noted by various ethnography and folk-construction experts at least half a century ago. Its remains tell a story of a historically significant building that has survived only in written descriptions. Like in many farms, unparalleled architectural and historical values are lost in
Vecdziesnieki not only because of lacking maintenance capacity, but simply due to functional redundancy.
Uniate church in Jēkabpils
Vārenbroka manor house
The remaining manor outbuildings are also subjected to disintegration. The manor complex included a landscaped garden with viewing perspectives oriented to landlord’s house. As for today, several alleys and lines of lime-trees, a few exotic plants and oaks have survived sugessting the original greenery pattern.
Tower of St.Trinity church
A tower renovation design was developed in 2003 and it is currently under reconstruction.
Living house Villa Medem
One of the few Classicism buildings of Jelgava surviving until today.
Living house- Jelgava, Vecpilsētas 84.
Bērvircava manor house and park
The old part of Bērvircava manor house is a unique early 18th century object that deserves due examination and renovation. The building is illustrative of construction traditions, aesthetic understanding and every-day conditions of the early 18th century – in the period following the Great Northern War.
Bramberģe manor buildings
Eleja manor buildings
The site still contains several remaining fragments of the palace walls. As regards the other surviving parts of the complex, they include manager’s house or the so-called Chevalier house, theatre building or barn, tea pavilion, several outbuildings and boulder fence with arches. The buildings are not currently used and face gradual degradation.
Ruins of Salgale Lutheran church
The remains of the church today suggest its history. Salgale Lutheran church is a monument of the Second World War and the attitudes of the post-war society towards the church as a cultural value.
Ķemeri park and park architecture
The development of Ķemeri park started in 1838 and the area has witnessed the long-standing history of Ķemeri resort. Walks and entertainment in the park were considered a precondition for successful recovery of the guests. The park structure also included the buildings of the resort. The network of winding paths, seemingly unmodified landscapes, far-reaching view perspectives, pavilion-type buildings –hermitage, rotunda, sulphur spring pavilion etc. – conformed to the principles of a landscaped park. A significant structural element of the park was the river Vēršupīte originating from the adjacent swamps. The artificial canals, bridges, the so-called Lovers Island and other formations create emotional impressions characteristic for a landscaped park. In the 1930ies the park obtained a new element – Ķemeri hotel (1936, architect E.Laube).
The preservation of Ķemeri park and its architecture is a complicated task, and the future of the unique Ķemeri hotel is unclear.
Jūrmala, Turaidas iela 8
The 1930ies saw a rapidly flourishing entertainment life in Jūrmala. As regards surviving restaurant buildings of the period, mentioning two is worthwhile: Jautrais ods in Ķemeri and Lido in Majori (rebuilt in 1926, architect S.Antonovs). The latter is a modern Functionalism building of geometrically strict spatial composition and Art Deco interior. The one-storey building features a three-section risalite with a step-shaped middle part. The main entrance was marked by a large terrace with access stairway. The technical condition of the building is critical as it is not used after the denationalisation, and its original glory is featured only in postcards of the 1920ies.
Krāslava manor house, park and park architecture
Library house of Krāslava manor
The three-storey cube-type building is a Baroque example of Latvian architecture. The centre of its main façade is emphasized by an oval-shaped risalite with columns at its sides, while the flanks – by pilasters. The cornice is richly ornamented and unites the façade elements.
Landskorona Catholic church
The church with its both two-storey bell-towers and the fence is one of the best examples of Latgale sacral architecture of the late 18th and early 19th centuries, featuring the integration of Baroque and Classicism traditions.
Mill with equipment
Kuldīga, Baznīcas iela 36
The original mill in Kuldīga was erected in the 13th century on the foundations of the stone castle fortification tower. The building has not survived. There was a longer period with no written mention of the mill, however, a new one was constructed in 1807, and the Classicism building has survived until today.
The old building has been in critical condition for many years – due to foundation slides the walls cracked making its future use complicated. A part of the wall at the side of the river Alekšupīte has collapsed, but the remaining walls are supported to avoid complete disintegration of the building.
Old living house of Lielīvande manor
Bell-tower of Pēteris cemetery
Kuldīga, Pētera iela 3
Each cemetery of Kuldīga has once had its own mortuary. They have not survived until today, except one – mortuarybell-tower in Pēteris cemetery. The wooden structures require immediate renovation, while the surrounding environment – cleaning and refinement, in order to display the distinct architectural monument adequately.
LiepājaSt. Trinity church
Liepāja, Lielā iela 9
The new Baroque church contrasted with other contemporary churches in Kurzume due to its specific design, which was influenced by the 18th century architecture of Prussia and theoretical writing of the age.
The existence of the church is endangered by the sliding and compacting foundations - a process that has already resulted in cracked vaults. The climatic conditions facilitate the disintegration of the façade sculptural decoration elements.
Apriķi manor house
Dzērve – Cīrava school
Mausoleum of Dunalka manor
The most significant example of pyramidal influences in Latvian architecture was the mausoleum of Dunalka manor (early 19th century). It was built reflecting the authentic form of pyramids (however, truncated at its very top) with a monumental portal featuring two niches and a pediment. The portal was an element of Classicism, while the interior is Romantic. From the inside, the pyramid was gradually transformed in a cylinder-shaped room and its thick walls accommodated three rows of radial niches (14 in each row) for sarcophagi. The spatial idea was terrifying and fascinating, as an observer in the middle of the mausoleum room was penetrated by unavoidable radiation of the demanding and awaiting niches. The empty niches were supposed to have an even greater negative influence on the living members of the family as they served as a reminder of the mortality of the current and yet unborn generations and their doom to return in this last resting place.
As for today, only the ruins of the mausoleum have survived, however, its spatial composition, façade finish and ornamental elements reflect its original form and artistic solutions.
Farm Dirnēnu Piķeļi
Liepupe manor house
Liepupe manor house (1751) is one of the few Baroque samples in Latvian manor architecture that has survived until today despite the long years of being abandoned. The building has also largely retained its authentic construction elements – entrance door leaves, window-frame corner-reinforcements, wooden stairway with profiled balusters, ceiling and wall panels, as well as the original layout – the central function room and two enfilades.
Liepupe Lutheran chapel
Limbaži medieval castle
The first written records on Limbaži castle date back to 1318, yet documentary unverified versions suggest its building in 1223 on the initiative of the Archbishop or Rīga. The banks of the river Svētupe and lake Dūņezers were chosen as the site for the castle. The four blocks of the castle were arranged to form a courtyard. In the late 17th century the castle fortifications were strengthened constructing an earthwork, enclosed by a defence wall, palisades and moat. The main entrance with a rectangular tower-type structure was placed in the central part of the eastern block. The gate was covered with a lancet arch, remains of which have survived until today.
Nabe castle tower-chapel
Lauderi Orthodox church
Lauderi Orthodox church (late 18th century, 1897, architect Koršikovs) is a horizontal log building with a frontal tower, two aisles and nave ending in a polygonal apse. The upper part of the tower is designed as a gallery. A small tower with a bulb-shaped spire was placed above the cornice of the congregation room. Originally the building was smaller and served as a Catholic church, but from 1840 it became Orthodox. The church has retained the altar with the altarpiece
Annunciation (the second half of the 18th century) and the flank altars (the second half of the 18th century).
Ludza castle ruins
Pasiene Catholic church
The towers of the unique church (roof and ornamental elements etc) require immediate renovation. The small congregation is unable to maintain the building. The adjacent monastery, which was built in the same period with the church, is abandoned, vandalised and missing windows and doors.
In 2002, a fire destroyed a part of the palace, including the steep roof structures, rooms on the second floor, grand staircase and other premises. Soon after the accident renovation works were started, future development proposals considered and surviving values preserved. The restoration process of the palace is in progress, however, its future is not clear.
Mārciena manor buildings
Threshing-barn of farm Anckani
Gate of Linde manor
Preiļi manor buildings
Rēzekne sinagogue (late 19th century) is an example of city’s wooden architecture. The two-storey building is covered by low-pitched chamfered roof. Its first-floor façade windows feature semicircular lintels decorated with ornamental keystone replicas. The second-floor fenestration is formed by the so-called blind windows. The building has retained its ritual premises. The synagogue has been abandoned since 1940ies and the small Jewish congregation of the city is unable to renovate the building, which requires urgent roof repairs, replacement of decayed wall foundations and other preservation measures.
Lobvoržu (Loboržu) manor house
Rēzeknes raj., Verēmu municipality
Rēzekne district, Ozolmuiža municipality
Ozolmuiža mausoleum (second half of the 19th century) was built of brick-cornered boulder walls. The building is a typical Eclectism example with laconic spatial composition and contemporary façade finish emphasising mainly the aesthetic qualities of the material used.
Rēzekne district, Silmala municipality
Prezma watermill was erected in the early 19th century. The comparatively big building is located at the roadside. It formed an integral part of Latgale landscape and cultural environment. In the late 1980ies the watermill was roofed, but was not used. As for today, only the walls have survived and the building is exposed to a slow disintegration process.
Bretheren Cemetery ensemble
The ensemble features three main parts.
The first part or the monumental entrance gate, which introduces the spatial and compositional idea of the complex, symbolises the boundary between the life and death. Both sides of the entrance feature sculptural groups of ancient Latvian soldiers. The gate is the beginning of a lime-tree alley or the road of reflection. The choice of the feminine lime-tree signifies the Latvian mother, daughter, wife and bride, present even in the last resting place of her beloved soldier. The second part of the complex consists of the terrace with an eternal flame, altar, as well as the sculptural groups of Ievainotie jātnieki (Wounded Horsemen) in close proximity. The third part is the lowered burial field with the sculpture of Māte Latvija (Mother Latvia) at its end. An important element of the impressive design is the successful use of the natural terrain, folkloric allegories, traditional understanding and love of the nature - all indirectly symbolising the gratitude of the nation to its soldiers. The end wall of the ensemble contains the coats of arms of 59 Latvian cities. The wall at both sides of Māte Latvija holds the insignias of rural municipalities and regional coats of arms under them. The complex was completed in 1936.
The Bretheren Cemetary was renovated in 1958. Currently the perimetrical and altar terrace support walls exhibit signs of structural cracking, while the foundations of sculptural groups were subjected to deformations caused by sliding, compaction and other technical conditions.
Rīga, Mārstaļu 21
The two-storey house of the rich merchant, ship-yard and sawmill owner Metsue von Dannenstern was constructed from 1694 to 1698 rebuilding two medieval houses. This was a new element in the contemporary architecture of Rīga – the so-called urban mansion.
During renovation works in the 1980ies the remains of a Gothic portal at the courtyard façade were found. Today the unique building is not used and its future is endangered.
Garden and park ensemble Lielie kapi with memorial buildings
The cemetary is unique for its many 18th century and later monuments of artistic and cultural value. A part of these monuments were designed and made by the workshop of the respected sculptor A.Volz and other authors - G.Šķilters, K.Zāle, and K.Zemdega. Wealthier families also built mausoleums for their passing members. In this way the so-called semi-detached mausoleums (18th-19th century) developed, e.g., for the family of Veizenbreier (18th century), Pihlau (mid-19th century), Grünfeldt (late 19th century). Many of them are decorated with stone portals, epitaphs and forged ornamental elements. A memorial ensemble was built in 1985 in the burial area of Kr.Barons, Kr.Valdemārs, F.Brīvzemnieks.
The biggest part of mausoleums are vandalised and their technical condition is critical.
Dome Cathedral and monastery
The Dome Cathedral is the biggest sacral building in Latvia. The church has retained numerous artistic values despite the fact that its interior was largely destroyed during an act of vandalism in 1524. The artistic details of the earliest medieval period include fresco fragments over the northern portal, as well as sculptural and ornamental capitals (13th century).
In 2004, the Dome Cathedral was closed for visitors as the load-bearing capacity of a pier by the altar had critically decreased. The vaults also exhibit signs of structural cracking, roof structures are endangered due to technical problems, while the upper and inter-floor cornices in the façade are exposed to a slow disintegration process.
Wooden buildings of Rīga
Due to frequent wars, fires and unfavourable climatic conditions Rīga cannot boast exceptionally old wooden buildings, but those surviving from as early as mid-18th century are sometimes rebuilt or considerably remodelled.
A large number of Classicism and Eclectism wooden buildings are abandoned and often used by homeless persons. There is no need to explain how such houses are heated during the cold season. The following wooden houses are abandoned and endangered – buildings at Ausekļa 18 (middle of the 19th century), Cēsu 37 (second half of the 19th century), Jeruzalemes 3 (second half of the 19th century), Dzirnavu 29 (late 19th century), Valdemāra 49 (middle of the 19th century) and 55 (second half of the 19th century), as well as the above-mentioned Classicism buildings at Valdemāra 41/43. A considerable number of these houses are located in the suburbs of Rīga, especially, Maskava suburb (e.g., at Katoļu 1 and 3).
Rīga castle has not experienced a complete revival yet. Much of its architectural and historical value is still unidentified due to lack of a coherent and scientific conservation, adaptation and interpretation project that could be implemented.
Rīga, Jēkaba 24
The building features three floors and a mansard-type roof. Originally it was symmetrical with the central part emphasized by a mezzanine. The flanks of the façade are highlighted by rustication, while the separate floor levels – by inter-floor cornices. The main entrance is marked by a rich portal with sculptural and ornamental decorations. The architecture of the building is dominated by the Classicism, which resembles the so-called house-owner Classicism represented by C.Haberland. Due to the late detection of foundation deformations, the external walls of the building were subjected to structural cracking, and the interior of the building reflects developments typical during the Soviet period – it is run-down, squalid and shabby. The load bearing capacity of the building is currently at risk. A renovation project of the building was developed in 2003, which includes a plan to demolish the courtyard blocks. The renovation works in the 18th century building have not started yet, thus exposing the cultural monument, which is an important element of the perimetrical façade line of Jēkabs square, to a considerable risk.
One of the most productive and remarkable architects of Rīga was Konstantīns Pēkšēns who left diverse creative heritage, including an apartment building at Pētersalas 5, which was built in 1902 and currently is a private property. The central part of the four-storey building is emphasised by a bay with balconies. The artistic façade finish is rich and dominated by Gothic elements, e.g., columns with Gothic capitals, battlement replicas etc. The upper floor fenestration features the so-called donkey-back window arches, while the step-shaped bay gable is emphasized by a b-cornice arcade.
This creation of the famous architect is abandoned already for many years, its authentic doors and windows are missing, one forged balcony railing section has been removed, while the courtyard side displays an empty wall in place of the removed extension.
Rīga, Marijas 6
The corner of the five-storey building is highlighted by a small tower with a gallery. The sculptural shape of the roof is created by its forms, risalite gables, while the façade decoration is emphasized by bays. The architectural solution of façades is accentuated with the diversity of window forms, surface finish and decorative elements. The first three lower floor façades are finished in strapwork and thus made considerably ponderous, while at the upper floor level they are smooth-plastered and decorated with ornamental elements. Consequently the upper part of the building displays a playfully easy character and directs the vertical visual orientation of the structure.
The apartment house at Marijas 6 has turned into the symbol of abandoned and shabby buildings in Rīga.
Rīga, Miesnieku 17
There are three warehouses at Miesnieku 13,15 and 17 dating back respectively to the 13th -19th centuries, 1750ies and 18th century. All three warehouses have a common characteristic feature – they are in a near-collapse condition and nobody is concerned about the buildings dating back to the Middle Ages.
Today the building is well-known due to the fact, that it is abandoned already for many years. Despite the few surviving decorative elements and equipment fragments, e.g., staircase, ornamental wall finish etc., the interior of the building is in extremely critical condition, while the external walls are fitted with a safety net to prevent accidents and falling stone fragments.
Daugmale castle mound, ancient settlement and burial field
Daugmale castle mound is one of the most magnificient fortifications on the river Daugava, an important trade, crafts and, probably, also political centre in the Baltic region.
Although extensive archaeological excavations were made in Daugmale, their material is not fully studied and published. The castle mound is endangered by soil erosion resulting in a destroyed cultural layer and lost artefacts; furthermore, the surrounding environment and landscapes are at the risk of degradation due to construction activities in close proximity to the site.
Orangery of Nurmiži manor
Nurmiži orangery is one of the very few surviving buildings of its typological group in Latvian manors.
Sigulda castle ruins
Stables in Ezeres manor
Gaiķi Lutheran Church
Briņķu Pedvāle manor
The complex includes three manors of Pedvāle: Firkspedvāle, Briņķpedvāle and Sabile vicarage. Besides buildings this ensemble also includes the cultural and historical environment of the river Abava valley that has a special significance and value. The many cultural monuments located in the ancient valley of the river Abava and its tributaries Imula and Amula, tell the history and highlight the beauty of landscapes. On the initiative of the State Inspection for Heritage Protection and Pedvāle Open Air Art Museum, the Abava valley was included in the list of the 100 most endangered cultural heritage sites in the world (World Monument Watch). A specially protected cultural and historical territory “Abavas ieleja” (“Abava Valley”) was founded by an instruction of the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Latvia in 1996.
Dundaga vicarage and park
Brewery of Nogale manorTalsi district, Valdemārpils amalgamated municipality
Nurmuiža manor buildings
Nurmuiža castle, which served as the residence of the family of von Fircks, was built in the second half of the 16th century as one of the last Order castles in Livonia. The castle is a fortification-type building with a small courtyard. It is covered with a steep two-pitched roof. The castle was rebuilt in the late 17th and mid-19th centuries. The representational area of the castle is located on the second floor, while the first floor contains a surviving chapel with Gothic vaults.
Old castle of Stende manor
Valdgale manor house
As for today, one end of the building is still surviving, while the rest is recorded in survey and inspection documents, as well as photos. Starting from 1987 the building was a private property, but was presented to the State Inspection for Heritage Protection in 1996. Currently it is a private property again. A renovation project of the manor house has been developed in 2004 (architect A.Kursiša), however, the implementation has not started yet.
Kandava castle ruins and Powder tower
Lestene Lutheran church
Sāti Lutheran church
Sāti Lutheran church was built in 1778 on the initiative of Duke E.Biron and still bears the monogram of the latter above the main entrance. The interior and furniture of the church were also made mainly during the 18th century, e.g., the altar (1778), confessional (1778), pulpit (1778) and organ (late 19th century). The altarpiece
Kristus un Pēteris (Christ and Peter) was painted by Ports in 1892.
Ērģeme medieval castle
Smiltene castle ruins
If observed carefully, the typical Vidzeme yard containing almost ten buildings can be recognised as the main scene of action in the film
The history of the farm dates back to nearly 300 years. Historical sources suggest it as the site of a former inn, called
Ellītes krogs. The fact is also verified by a surviving stable located opposite to the living house or the former inn building across the road. The placename has undergone several modifications from the transitional form
Ielītes to later Ielīcis or Ielīcas.
The elongated living house with a thatched roof, which was fixed with gravel fill at the ridge, was erected in two construction stages resulting in a horizontal round-wood structure built in cross-corner technique during the first stage, and it was later complemented with a hewed log section built in flat-corner technique. The constructive solution reflects the functional suitability of the building to serve as an inn. The interior of the building includes a heating system consisting of a bread-baking oven, open-hearth kitchen, smoke house, as well as authentic floors.
Several modifications to the buildings were made to satisfy the filming needs – the internal walls were sheeted with horizontal semi-round boards to imitate round-wood, and the complex in
Ielīcas was supplemented with a threshing-barn that was placed next to the cattle-shed and hay-barn.
Except from the two-section barn, featuring decorated porch supports, the buildings are laconic in their form and ornamentation; axe marks are still visible on many logs and round-wood floors are frequent. However, it is impossible to describe the many barns and sheds dividing the yard in various functional areas.
The film was successfully shot, then Ielīcas served as a museum exhibition, but currently the complex is abandoned, despite the fact of having a legal owner. For this reason the unattended buildings still suffer from accidental damage – broken windows, removed doors etc.
Burtnieki manor buildings
Eriņi manor house
Mujāni medieval castle
Valtenberģe manor stables
Pabērzkalns – caslte mound and settlement
Ventspils district, Zlēkas municipality
Zlēkas manor buildings
Ventspils district, Zlēkas municipality
The now ruined complex of Zlēkas manor was developed soon after the Great Northern War. Today the magnificent Baroque ensemble has turned into rubble; the granary and stable remain the only roofed buildings.