District of Jelgava
District of Jelgava
Jelgava town council
Liela 11, Jelgava, LV-3001
• JELGAVA is located in the central part of Zemgale low land only 42 km or half an hour on train away from capital city Riga. Through the city flows second Latvia biggest river Lielupe. With more than 66 thousands inhabitants Jelgava is the fourth largest state importance city in Latvia. Because of geographic position and development dynamics it is center of Zemgale education, culture and business.
• Jelgava inhabitants put their minds and hearts into city development, by creating Jelgava as Europe level science and developed production city. Investments are asked for city, especially by developing such science full branches as metalworking, woodworking and food manufacturing. One of the largest projects is largest innovation within the region of park – creation of Zemgale technology park.
• One of the city prides is Latvia Agriculture University, in which every year studies tens of thousands of students. That’s why Jelgava amongst people is called a Student city. University helps to support all regional companies with highest quality specialists. In other turn, Zemgale regional adult education center offers more than 50 further education programs – for both professional improving and education of interests.
• Not looking at the previous century war damages, in the city are found both architecture, culture, history and nature monuments, as well as modern buildings, And also our modern buildings. Baroque time architecture pearl is Italian architect Frančesko Bartolomeo Rastrelli built Jelgava castle, in which it is possible to look also into Kurzeme – Zemgale duke tomb. Here is located also first level High school in Latvia – Academy Petrina, now there is created Ģederts Eliass history and art museum. From first for Lutherans built church in Europe St. Trinity church only the tower has been preserved.
• Jelgava inhabitants are also active sportsmen. Only a few moments ago was built Jelgava sport hall. On Pārlielupe is placed and develops relaxation and sport complex “Zemgale”, in which is located not only Jelgava ice hall, it is complex for different sport possibilities (4 tennis courts, two beach volleyball fields, basketball field, mini soccer field, skate park), as well as for entertainment (8 bowling tracks, radio controlled car model track, cafes). Not mentioning traditional hockey, figure skating and public ice skating, exactly Jelgava ice hall in Latvia brought already popular curling and stand hockey. It is Jelgava ice hall where in the May of 2006, at the same time as large hockey championship will happen world stand hockey championship.
• But still, what you have seen with your own eyes can’t be taken away from you, that’s why we invite everyone to arrive, get to know and love!